Interested in contributing to Comestible? Here is a little information on what we're looking for:
Comestible is a seasonal journal about food, published twice a year, aligned with the food seasons: spring/summer, fall/winter. We want to tell stories about not just food, but about the people who produce our food, the places it comes from and the traditions surrounding it.
Here are the sections that we want stories for:
Every issue will include stories from producers, be they vegetable farmers, winemakers, artisan cheesemakers, home gardeners, or just someone with a beehive in their backyard. These are stories and essays intended to help readers to better understand what goes into producing what we eat.
Where can food take us? Be it an essay about harvesting grapes in France, foraging in the Pacific Northwest or exploring the social and economic intricacies of a region through the lens of food, Explore is intended to challenge us to think about places, both new and familiar.
Eat is Comestible's recipe section. Recipes should be based off of seasonal, local ingredients (local is entirely dependent on your location, but consider that our readership is mainly based in North America). We want to challenge readers to use seasonal foods in new ways, in simple, yet creative ways.
What we do want:
- Stories that challenge the reader to rethink their relationship to what they eat.
- Stories that look at the intersectionality of food and another sector, like food and fiber production.
- Regional stories that have a strong focus on people and place.
- Stories that highlight culture and tradition, including the loss thereof.
- Recipes that are centered around seasonal produce, and are simple yet creative and inspire the reader to use an ingredient in a new way.
- Contributions from underrepresented perspectives.
- Poetry and other creative ways of portraying stories of food.
- Stories that you haven't been able to place in other food media. We want stuff that's different!
What we don't want:
- Restaurant reviews
- Celebrity chef profiles
- Cake mixes
- Roundups and listicles
- Anything about "superfoods"
- Avocado toast recipes
Do we pay?
Yes, we pay, although we are a small, self-published, ad-free publication and therefore our contributor fees will not make you rich, but you will have a platform for telling rich, informative, inspiring stories about real food.
Interested in submitting?
Please submit a query via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, noting "PITCH" in the subject line. Please include a short description of your story as well as a few links to writing samples.